Vocabulary for Describing Environmental Science and Human Rights
At the end of the lesson, students will be able to use environmental science and human rights vocabulary accurately and appropriately in written and spoken communication.
• Copies of the lesson vocabulary list
• Word wall
• Writing paper and pens/pencils
Today we’ll be learning some important vocabulary related to environmental science and human rights. Before we get started, let’s review some of the key concepts that we’ve already gone over in previous lessons.
- Pass out the list of environmental science and human rights vocabulary words.
- Have students work in pairs to complete the following tasks:
- Write definitions for each word
- Create sentences using the words in context
- Talk to each other about the words and their meanings
- Put the vocabulary words up on a word wall, and have students refer to it whenever they need to.
- Instruct students to write a short paragraph about a current environmental or human rights issue.
- Have them read their paragraph aloud to the class.
- Go through some of the vocabulary words again, and have students explain what each one means.
- Ask students to think of other contexts where they might use the words.
• Reviewed key concepts from previous lessons
• Practiced environmental science and human rights vocabulary with a partner
• Put words up on a word wall
• Wrote a paragraph about a current environmental or human rights issue
• Discussed the meanings of vocabulary words
• Thought of other contexts to use the words