Vocabulary for Describing Environmental Management and Sustainability
Here’s a list of key terms related to Environmental Management and Sustainability with brief definitions:
- Environmental Management: The process of planning and implementing actions to protect and improve the natural environment.
- Sustainability: The ability to meet the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.
- Green Technology: Technologies that are environmentally friendly and sustainable, such as renewable energy and environmentally-friendly transportation.
- Renewable Energy: Energy sources that are replenished naturally and can be used continuously, such as wind, solar, and hydropower.
- Carbon Footprint: A measure of the total amount of carbon dioxide emissions produced by an individual, organization, or activity.
- Climate Change: Long-term changes in the Earth’s climate, largely driven by human activities, such as burning fossil fuels and deforestation.
- Biodiversity: The variety of life on Earth, including the variety of species, ecosystems, and genetic diversity.
- Ecosystem: A community of living and non-living things that interact with each other in a specific environment.
- Endangered Species: A species that is at risk of extinction due to habitat loss, hunting, or other human activities.
- Habitat Destruction: The destruction or degradation of an ecosystem, leading to the loss of biodiversity.
- Water Conservation: The practice of using water efficiently and reducing waste to conserve water resources.
- Waste Management: The collection, treatment, and disposal of waste to minimize its impact on the environment.
- Recycling: The process of recovering materials from used products and using them to make new products.
- Energy Efficiency: The practice of using energy in a way that minimizes waste and reduces energy consumption.