Discussing current events and news
• At the end of the lesson, the student will be able to effectively and confidently discuss current events and news in English.
• The student will learn various introductory phrases and language to start a conversation about current events and news.
• A list of recent current events or news stories
Introduction (5 minutes)
• Introduce the topic of the lesson: discussing current events and news.
• Ask the student if they know any of the recent news stories, and discuss with the student what news stories they’ve heard about.
• Go over the objectives of the lesson.
Vocabulary (15 minutes)
• Go over the various vocabulary words related to current events and news. This can include words such as opinion, discuss, debate, agree and disagree, etc.
• Ask the student to give examples of how they can use each of the words in a sentence to discuss current events and news, and use the student’s examples to explain the difference between each word.
Introductory phrases (15 minutes)
• Show the student various introductory phrases to use when starting a conversation about current events and news.
• Ask the student to come up with their own introductory phrases and practice using them in conversation with the teacher.
Group discussion (15 minutes)
• Divide the student into groups of two or three.
• Provide each group with a list of recent current events or news stories and ask them to discuss their thoughts and opinions on the topics.
• Walk around the room and facilitate the conversations, giving help and advice as needed.
Closing (5 minutes)
• Ask each group to share the main points of their conversation with the class.
• Discuss any key takeaways from the lesson.
• Reiterate the objectives of the lesson and ask the student if they feel they have met them.
• Introduction to the topic and objectives of the lesson.
• Go over vocabulary related to current events and news.
• Introduce various introductory phrases.
• Hold a group discussion on recent current events and news stories.
• Close the lesson by discussing key takeaways and reiterating objectives.